Welcome to Penguin Class!
Reception at Pulloxhill
Welcome to Penguin Class, where we learn through playing and working together in our wonderful classroom and outdoor environment with Mrs Wolfe, Mrs Hobbs, Mrs Herd and Mrs Jephson. We believe that all children in Penguin Class should benefit from a wide-ranging curriculum with good breadth, balance and relevance, differentiated to meet the individual needs of each child. We believe that learning should be motivating, stimulating and above all fun, and should produce success, confidence and security in the children. We foster close links with our children’s homes, so as their experiences and interests can influence the planning of our curriculum. We believe in equal opportunities for all of our children.
Penguin Class has a rich and stimulating play based environment. Through play, the children explore and develop learning experiences, which
help them to make sense of the world. The children practise and build up ideas, and learn how to control themselves and develop an understanding
of our school’s values and expectations for their behaviour. The children are encouraged to think creatively and they communicate with other children and adults as they investigate and find solutions to challenges.
We are aspirational and strive for every child to achieve their full potential. We believe that every child is unique and we are committed to delivering the best to each of them. There are seven main areas of learning in the Foundation Stage Curriculum, which the children follow: Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Communication and Language, Mathematics, Literacy, Understanding of the World, and Expressive Arts and Design. Our current curriculum news and timetable are available by clicking on 'curriculum news' and 'timetable' respectively.
Here are some things you might like to know about Penguin Class:
- We practise our phonics, reading, mark-making / writing and mathematics every day
- We enjoy 'story time' every day.
- We have assembly every day and we follow our school’s values, as we learn through playing together.
- We have PE on Friday and dancing on Wednesday.
- We visit the computing suite at least once a week, sometimes more often.
- We have ‘Show and Tell’ on Friday, when we bring in small items from home, related to our topic or focus phonics, to share with our friends.
- We learn and practise a cursive handwriting style.
- We bring home a library book every Friday. Please share this book with your child and ensure that it is brought back to school the following Friday.
- We have a special board in our classroom to celebrate achievements at home. 'WOW' cards are sent home with each child.
- We have a simple task to complete in our learning log every week. The children will come home with their learning log on Friday and it should be handed in on Wednesday.
- We have a home - school communication book. Please ensure that this is sent in to school each day.
If we have not mentioned something you would like to know, please do not hesitate to ask.
Mrs Wolfe and the Penguin Class Team
Autumn Term 2020
We welcomed nine Penguins in September. It has been wonderful to see how well they have settled in to life in school. This half-term we will be busy exploring our topics 'Amazing Autumn' and 'Magical Me'.
We will spend as much time as possible outside. We are so very lucky that we have such a great outdoor environment in which to play and investigate. The Penguins will be working hard in our garden and will enjoy planting bulbs ready for the spring, using our wonderful Percy the Park Keeper hut as a base. Indoors, the Penguins will enjoy playing in our doctors' surgery and exploring our fantastic classroom.